Promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Executive Search
We believe diverse and inclusive leadership creates more profitable companies and a better world where both individuals and organizations thrive.
We believe in recognizing, valuing, and leveraging the unique perspectives, experiences, and talents of every individual.
And we believe the executive search industry plays a critical role in expanding the mission of diversity, equity, and inclusion on an individual and cultural level.
Executive and strategic search professionals are in a unique position to witness the state of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the business world, and support the hard and challenging work organizations must undertake to build and maintain diverse, high-performance teams.
Through our work with some of the most innovative and future-making organizations, all team members at The Bowdoin Group are proud to be allies to DE&I imperatives. We support making space in the workplace and society for people of all races, ethnicities, gender expressions and identities, sexual orientations, abilities, nationalities, ages, educations, and socioeconomic statuses, for equal opportunities to grow and advance.
In fact, we believe that executive search professionals play a deeply powerful, impactful role in supporting organizations to be more diverse and inclusive — we are gatekeepers to the highest levels of performance and leadership in a wide range of industries.
But with great power comes great responsibility. And the time has come that executive search professionals embrace their role not just as gatekeepers, but gate openers. To constantly update those best practices and long-held principles that came at the cost of equal opportunity to large groups of richly experienced, innovative talent.
The principles of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are bigger than all of us — and we all have an important role to play.
Best Practices for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Executive Search
At The Bowdoin Group, we practice what we preach, and we believe that processes around diversity, equity, and inclusion is not only a moral imperative, but also a business imperatives. Here are a few best practices we’ve embraced as an organization that we encourage our clients and partners to consider, as well:
- Regular trainings on unconscious biases from our partner Quantum Power Skills (QPS), an independent diversity, equity, and inclusion firm, including consulting around racial and gender equality and discrimination, cultural diversity, workforce diversity, the responsibility of being an equal opportunity employer (EEO), and more.
- Commitment to finding candidates with the highest potential and best skills for our clients and our own open positions, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, nationality, or age.
- Regular updates to our candidate research process to ensure our candidate pool is a living example of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Alternative recruitment options such as resume and candidate blinding, universal assessments, and the implementation of anti-bias training and tools.
- Dedication to supporting the broader ecosystem through corporate volunteering and giving, with over 500 hours of community service provided to organizations like YearUp, Hack.Diversity, Big Brother Big Sister, Read to a Child, Life Science Cares, and others.
If you see any notable diversity, equity, and inclusion practices missing from this list that you recommend, please reach out to our HR coordinator at [email protected].