ASSESS POTENTIAL LEADERS BY ASKING HOW THEY’VE HANDLED TOUGH SITUATIONS IN THE PAST.
If you are trying to fill a senior leadership position you have got to make sure that the person who fills the role handles difficult situations of all kinds. How do you find out? Aren’t the candidates going to tell you their best success stories? On this episode of The Success Talk Show, I ask Dave Melville how a company can discern a leader’s true ability for handling difficult situations and he tells us what he’s learned in years of recruiting. You are going to be helped by the simplicity and clarity of his answer.
IF YOU’RE INTERVIEWING FOR A HIGH-LEVEL POSITION, HERE’S HOW YOU CAN ENGENDER TRUST FASTER.
Imagine yourself sitting across the table from an executive hiring team. You want to communicate that you are trustworthy and reliable, which is one of the main things every company needs from its senior leaders. How can you do it with such a small window of opportunity? My guest on this episode, Dave Melville shares some simple but important ways you can look across that table with confidence and cause the people who are questioning you to feel a level of trust in you that they don’t necessarily feel with the other candidates. Are you interested? You’ve got to listen to this one.
THE TOP MISTAKES LEADERS MAKE WHEN INTERVIEWING FOR A NEXT LEVEL POSITION
Is there one mistake that senior leaders make repeatedly when it comes to interviewing for executive positions that could take their career to the next level? Yes, there is. Dave Melville says that in all his years in recruiting he sees top level executives make the same mistake over and over. What is it? Over-selling themselves. On this episode, you can hear Dave explain what it looks like to over-sell yourself, and he’ll also give you some tips for avoiding it. This section alone is worth the time it will take you to listen.
WHERE COMPANIES GO WRONG WHEN INTERVIEWING LEADERS.
When a company is looking for their next superstar leader they want to be sure they get the right person. But there’s also the pressure of getting the position filled so the organization can move forward, sooner. It’s those two dynamics that create the most common mistake hiring teams make when interviewing potential executives. Do you know where they go wrong? Dave Melville is on the show today to share insights from his experience so make sure you listen to avoid the mistakes most companies make.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [0:33] My introduction of my guest today, Dave Melville.
- [1:25] What are the top leadership skills companies are looking for these days?
- [2:12] How candidates can communicate their skills to a potential employer.
- [5:07] Tips for how leaders can better empower their teams.
- [7:08] The importance of having clear values for the team or company.
- [8:39] Understanding a leader’s “why.”
- [13:36] Mistakes leaders make when interviewing for a next level position.
- [15:20] The best ways to quickly establish trust.
- [16:37] Mistakes employers make when trying to get the best talent for their team.
- [19:13] Lessons Dave wished he’d known earlier in his career.
Listen to the podcast today: